My Sewcation

I've had a very busy summer back teaching face to face and running a couple of Saturday Sewing Retreats so I decided to treat myself to a week off. I'd lots of personal sewing planned for my week off - to sew for a whole day, just for myself, feels like such an indulgence (but much needed)


I thought you might be interested to hear what I sewed up and what I thought of my makes.

There were a few bits I needed to finish off, which included my hack of the New Look 6449 shirt dress. I wanted to create a Victorian feel with a frilled collar and tied cuffs. I shortened the pattern into a shirt (still using the lovely shaped hem) and changed the collar into a gathered frill (twice the length of the collar stand). I still sewed the cuff plackets but finished the edge with bias binding instead of a cuff and used this lovely Liberty Lawn from a recent visit to Goldhawk Road. I'm really pleased with this blouse and think it will look lovely on its own or peeking over the top of a jumper in the winter.



It was also the last week of my Zoom jacket making class (a 4 week course) so I got to finish this off as well. I'm over the moon with this jacket and I think it's the fabric that makes it so good. I used an olive green ramie from Guthrie and Ghani and it has a relaxed 'worn in' look which works so well with the Merchant and Mills Ottoline Pattern. There are some fab details in this pattern - neatly finished cuff plackets, side vents and a plethora of pockets. I think this will become a 'throw on and head out of the door' jacket that will be worn a lot. I slightly sized up so that I can wear with a chunky jumper in the Autumn.



Next on the cutting table was a gorgeous Art Gallery Rayon and the Merchant and Mills Sunday Robe pattern (both available in my haberdashery at the moment). Instead of using iron on interfacing, I decide to use silk organza in order to preserve the lightness and drape of the fabric, while still adding structure. This technique worked very well and the whole garment sewed up fairly quickly. This is a great beginner pattern (and would make a fab pressie for someone as no fitting required).



I finally got on the bandwagon with the ubiquitous McCall's M7969. Prompted by a lovely sewing friend who gifted me a copy of this pattern, I cut into some silk twill that I purchased around 2 years ago. The fabric was originally earmarked to make a dress for my daugher's graduation (for me to look a bit smarter than usual) - but 'you know what' got in the way and we are still waiting on a date. It was too pretty to sit in the drawer, so I decided it would go well with the drape of this style. I haven't worn it yet - maybe this weekend I will get a pic?




I've long stalked the Sicily Slip Dress on Instagram (Sewing Patterns by Masin) and it seems to suit all shapes and sizes. I had some satin viscose from SewMeSunshine which had a great drape but also a decent weight. Bias cut dresses with thin fabrics are likely to show every curve (ie. lump and bump ha ha) so this was a good option for me. It feels quite revealing especially with the spaghetti straps - but I think it will be a perfect holiday dress (and needless to say, Hubby loves it!). Will wear with a little cardi day to day.


If you would like to have a go at any of these patterns or if you'd like some help with your makes, please do get in touch for a 1:1 lesson. It's £20 per hour until 30th September and from 1st October £23 per hour. It would be lovely to see you.

Happy Sewing,

Jo xx


sewing at machine face.jpg

FEATURED POSTS

Posts are coming soon
Stay tuned...