Over the last year or so, I think we've all realised that finding joy in the everyday is more important than ever. I sew most days because I know that it makes me feel happy and because I need to - it's like a creative itch that needs to be scratched!
I've been thinking about why I sew and have narrowed it down to 5 reasons, below.
1. It fulfills my need to be creative. We all need a creative outlet. I can't sing, or draw or paint - but I can sew. Having a picture in my mind of something I would like and working out how to make it real is such a satisfying process
2. It connects me with others. Whether I'm chatting to people in the Instagram Sewing Community or catching up in real life at a sewing class, it feels good to find your tribe. There are a surprising number of sewists out there - and we're growing all the time. I know I'm biased - but I think sewing people are the loveliest!
3. It enables my other hobby - buying fabric and haberdashery! Since I was very young, I've always had a box of sewing bits and bobs; fabrics, lace, buttons etc. and sometimes it's just nice to get them out, and imagine what I can create (please tell me I'm not alone in this!!) I love looking at new fabrics, going fabric shopping with a bunch of like minded people and even watching fabric hauls on YouTube (OK I know I now sound a bit bonkers...let's move on)
4. I have a wardrobe of beautiful clothes that fit me. I'm not an 'average' shape or size (who is?!) - I'm short, a bit busty and there's not a huge difference between my waist and hip size. Ready to wear clothes aren't designed to fit me. But I can make things that I've seen in magazines, or in the shops and tweek the proportions so that I look like the best version of me that I can.
5. It keeps me in the moment. If I'm feeling a bit low or overthinking things, then I know the minute I pick up a sewing project I will lose myself. Sometimes it needs to be a complex project to really take me away from my headspace and other times I can just about manage some simple hand sewing. Whatever I sew, I know that it will help me to feel more like myself.
How does sewing make you feel?
Lots of love,